Monday, May 28, 2012

Remembering


Farmers. Teachers. Singers. My younger sister placed flowers at our family graves this morning.  This responsibility falls to her as we have had too much tragedy in the generations older than us. It is important to honor and remember the dead and I thank my sister for doing the decoration duties in the cemeteries near our home farm.

A year ago at this time, I was reeling from the toll of 12 funerals for family and friends in 11 months. It felt like too much. It was a tough season of grieving and loss.

Celebrating being pregnant and now giving birth to Kiri has been a welcome season of life. There are certainly moments of grief as I mourn that she won’t be able to meet some really wonderful people who influenced my life.  Plenty of days hold special meaning and anniversaries that are marked and remembered with photos, stories, smiles and tears. 

Decoration Day, or Memorial Day, is a day to pause and remember. Soldiers, yes, but also all those who have sacrificed to make life better for us. Whether their uniform was from the military or was a simple apron, we need to reflect on those who have worked to make this world better for us.  

To all of them, I say thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment