Sunday, May 13, 2012

Present, Past and Future – A Mother’s Day Reflection


I am so blessed to spend this day with my precious bundle of Kiri Joy.  She has made me a mother. When I look at her I see so many things at once.

I see the here and now. Her perfect little features on her 6 pound peanut of a body. Delicate lips, fine dark brown hair, barely visible eyelashes, long slender fingers that curl to unfurl a tight grip. Her blue little eyes that study me as I study her. I drink her in as I know the time will fly and my little girl will never again be this little.

I also catch moments that remind me of the past. Was that an “Oh Forevermore” moment channeling Great Grandma Della? Was that sideways glance reminiscent of Grandma Norma? That wrinkled brow was all your daddy. Putting those hands by your face, is that what you favored in the womb?

I steal glimpses of her future. I can see her grown and independent telling me about her dreams. I can see her with longer hair and lots of confidence. I see her tired yawn and you can't get me out of bed as a teenager look. And there it is, less than two weeks old and she already has defined “what?” and “mom, you’ve got to be kidding me” looks.

Kiri, I look at you and see so many things – who you are, where you’ve come from and who you will grow to be. This Mother’s Day, I’m glad for my front row seat on this journey.

3 comments:

  1. :) Awesome! I really like hearing little details about Kiri. Happy Mother's Day "B". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. Made me teary. I can't wait to witness her growth or you as a mom. love, LOVE!

    ReplyDelete